Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Traveler and the Tiger…

This story is from the Hitopadesa

Once upon a time in the southern forests there dwelt a certain old tiger. Everyday he would take a ceremonial bath and, gathering some sacred grass in his paw, he would call out to the passers-by as he sat at the edge of a pond: come travelers, come! Someone come and take this gold bracelet which I am giving away free!

This attracted a traveler, but he felt some hesitation. He thought within himself, "bonanza here! But there may be a trap. Therefore, I must not be hasty where a risk is involved. People say, the result of getting a desirable object from an undesirable source is not good; indeed, even nectar, when tainted with poison, brings about one's 'death. But then, any enterprise involves risk. Playing, safe, you win nothing. To gain success you must take calculated risks. Let me examine this offer closely”. There upon he called aloud: "Where is your bracelet?"

The tiger stretched out a paw and showed it to him, but the traveler said: “How am I to trust someone with a murderous nature like you”. The tiger replied: “My friend, your doubts and fears are certainly justified as I was killer once. In my youth I killed so many human beings and cattle that my sins destroyed my wife and children. And now I am without heirs. Then, by Divine Grace, I met a holy man, who gave me wholesome advice. Obeying him, I repented all my sins, gave away all I had in charity. I am old, my teeth and claws are gone: no one need fear me. I spend my time in ritual baths and alms giving. The scriptures prescribe the eightfold path of virtue - sacrifice, religious study, charity, penance, truthfulness, patience, forgiveness, and lack of greed. Of these, the first four may be practiced merely for ostentation, but the last four belong to the truly great. And I, being, free from greed, wish to give away, somehow to someone this gold bracelet, my last possession. I admit it is difficult to refute the belief that tigers eat people. For the world never thinks for itself, but blindly does what has been done before. But I have studied the scriptures diligently, and I follow their teachings. Let me remind you of them.

It is said:

1. "As rain to a desert, as food to the hungry, so satisfying is a gift to the poor",

2. "As one's life is dear to oneself so is life dear to every creature. The good think of others as themselves, and show compassion".

3. "While giving or while refusing, in joy or in sorrow, in liking, or in disliking. A man should judge by placing himself in the other's position. You are a poor fellow, and so I would like you to have this bracelet".

4. "Give to the needy; do not add wealth to the rich. The sick man needs medicine. What use of it to one in health"

5. "The best charity is giving for giving’s sake, at the proper place and time, to one who deserves it, and from whom nothing is expected in return".

Therefore, have a Holy bath in this lake, and then take this golden bracelet as a gift from me. The traveler felt confidence at the tiger's words, but no sooner did he enter the pool in order to bathe than he found himself stuck fast in the mud and unable to run away. When the tiger saw him held deep in the mud he said: Oh! You have fallen into the mud; I will just lift you out of it. With these words he gently approached the traveler.

As the tiger seized the traveler, he (the traveler) thought to himself, “I was a fool to trust this killer. I did not do well in having faith in this murderous beast" With these and other thoughts passing through his mind, the traveler was killed by the tiger and eaten.

The above story proves how greed robs learned man of his wisdom. It also tells us that animals (also animals in human form) do not deviate from their instinctive behavior – (Swabhava). However, human beings have intellect and power of discretion, which when used in deviation of their value based instinctive behavior (Swabhava), lead to all sort of problems.

No comments: